Thursday, December 14, 2017

December Dialogue




On the 14th day of December, my true love said to me...

PW (Potter's Wife): Today felt epic.

P (Potter): Long day for sure. Getting ready for a firing always is a bit crazy.

PW: I'm glad you didn't push to load tonight. The timing is going to be what it is going to be.

P: Gives me a bit of room for thinking about the firing and what surfaces I'm after with this next one.

PW: Will you try again for something like the last firing, those frothy white surfaces with the quartz inclusions?

P: Those surfaces are pretty compelling. A gradation between pure black and pure white.

PW: Probably pretty hard for people to believe that those cups were loaded as raw porcelain into the kiln, with no applied glaze whatsoever. Just the soda, doing its magic in the process.

P: That's the beauty of firing atmospherically. Whenever I see something new come out of the kiln, like this, it epitomizes my desire to keep searching. To me that firing represents the endless variation that can come out of atmospheric kilns just by changing a variable.

PW: If this tumbler had a name, what would it be?

P: Hmm. Put it out to the blog-o-sphere...ask them.

Soda fired Tumbler $50
To purchase, email robin@robindupont.com
What name would you call it?