Saturday, December 16, 2017

December Dialogue

On the 16th day of Christmas, my true love said to me...


PW (Potter's wife): I was too tired last night to post. Can we pick two out for today?

P (Potter): Sure

PW: How about these two?

P: I was planning to re-fire those in this next firing.

PW: But they are beautiful. What about them makes you want to re-fire them?

P: I think they could be better.

PW: Better, how?

P: I'm just after a surface with more depth. More layers, more depth, less orange.

PW: I wonder if people know that pots can be re-fired over again, and again.

P: We've had people visit the studio and try to convince me that they love certain pieces and want to buy it as is. If I'm going to put my name on something and put it out in the world, it should be the way I want it to be. But I have been convinced before to let them go.

Same mugs, backside, reversed order
PW: Even when you are not happy with it entirely?

P: That's the challenge for me. When someone finds something beautiful in a piece, and they really appreciate it for what it is, it's hard to not let them purchase it. But I think about those pieces after the fact. It's complicated. Expectations of the surfaces I want, but an exploration of what else can be achieved.

PW: So will you re-fire these two?

P: Yep.

Soda fired mugs.
Not for sale - slated for next firing.
Will post again, stay tuned





No comments: