Sunday, December 3, 2017

December Dialogue


On the 3rd day of December, my true love said to me.....


PW: Did you see the full moon tonight? 

P: Yes. The cloud cover is breaking up a little. 

PW: The surface of this cup reminds me of clouds at night. 

P: Really? It reminds me of the texture of an orange or a lemon. It has a rare, waxy matte surface to it. That's the result of slow cooling the soda kiln. 

PW: Look at the back side of it. It's totally different. 

P: There is a lot of depth to this surface. It's hard to really capture the true likeness in a photograph of it. Can you see these crystals growing over the hard shiny glaze underneath?

I can't remember the sand I used in this clay body. But I know it is different than the normal kind I use. See these more deeply corroded pockets of sand? The soda eats away at the quartz sand particles. It's erosion. 

PW: Looks like this one got hammered with soda, on all sides? 

P: Yeah, it has a nice coating. It's well balanced, all around. Not overstated in anyway. The lip undulates, in a similar way to the movement in the trimming lines at the bottom. There is a kind of subtle fluidity to the whole cup, from the foot to the belly to the lip. 

PW: Ah, balance. A hard thing to achieve sometimes. In life...

P: The ski hill opens on Friday. 


Yunomi cup $45
To purchase email robin@robindupont.com
Perfect for an après ski Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy Recipe:
Boiling water
4 cloves
Lemon or Orange twist
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 oz fresh lemon juice
2 oz bourbon, rye whiskey, or scotch 




No comments: