Sunday, December 3, 2017

December Dialogue

On the 2nd day of December, my true love said to me....


PW (Potter's Wife): Do you have any more shot glasses from that firing? 

P (Potter): Yes, why? 

PW: Well, we could have sold that first one I posted three times over! So I thought it would be a good idea to post another one today.

P: How about this one? 

PW: Oh sweet, it's like a his and hers. 

P: Did you know that for me this form is all about that little spot where your fingers sit when you lift the cup?  Just above the foot, where your fingers can easily nestle into. It's kind of ridiculous how much I think about that spot. 

Here, hold it. 

PW: Do you think people that use your cups think about that spot? 

P: Maybe. One of my friends who is a potter told me he loves these cups because for him it's as though the cup is holding onto him - it just fits that well in his fingers 

PW: Hmm

P: Perhaps they're more likely to think about why the surface is the way that it is. Kind of the potter's dilemma, rectifying the form - surface dilemma. I do like the surfaces of these cups. There is a quality that is hard to explain. I've heard many different explanations for it. It's kind of shimmery, you know the way that ice shimmers, how it can have both matte and shiny surfaces at the same time - creating depth. I've also heard it described similar to sugar. The way light refracts off its crystal structure. 

And the black specks on the inside are iron spots. I mix local sand into the porcelain, just to make it dirty, or give it more depth. 

PW: Whoa, that's deep. 

P: I guess that's what happens when we drink whiskey and talk about pots late at night. 



Whiskey Cup $35
To purchase email robin@robindupont.com
Whiskey still not included. 



No comments: