Friday, November 9, 2012

We are one

I took the time this morning to attend the Remembrance Day assembly at the school today. It took me back to my own primary school memories, the songs and poems haven't changed and the 'Last Post' bugle call drew the same sorrowful tightening in my throat.

But I realized something important at this particular assembly, as I looked around at the mass of children singing earnestly and joyfully - they were singing about peace, not war.

I am grateful that my children attend a school here in Winnipeg that has a very diverse and authentically multicultural student population. I've watched over the last couple of months how the school works hard to create a 'community' and honours the many ethnic differences.

My hope is that if we can continue to teach our children about peace and acceptance, that one day there will be a generation without war.


No comments: