Saturday, January 17, 2009

Baker's Delight

Check 'em out! You can imagine how excited I was this morning to have pulled these sweet loaves out of the oven after a morning of kneading and waiting. 

My friend Sue had inspired me to bake bread when she sent me her prized oatmeal bread recipe after hearing my intention to try new things in the kitchen. I have baked bread before on three separate occasions, and hands down none were as successful as today's attempt. 

Isla and I measured out the oats and flour, watched the yeast plume grow and kneaded to our heart's content while Roscoe slept on and the daddy dutifully studied for his art history graduate seminar. It seemed like the perfect morning to take on a project such as bread making. I thoroughly enjoyed the ritual and have decided that I need to include it as a regular one in our weekly pursuits. 

Baking our own bread fits nicely into my resolution to eating and purchasing our food with a greater consciousness of where it is coming from and at what expense. I took an early vow when we first moved to Logan that I wouldn't buy sliced bread from the grocery store and instead opted to support our local bakery Crumb Brothers. I don't intend to abandon CB all together (not sure if I could ever replicate their scrumptious Sunflower Honeynut Loaf) , instead just plan to supplement our family's bread consumption with a few of these delightful looking loaves. (see above). 

4 comments:

gladventurer said...

Congratulations Eden.
They look terrific

Schmoo and Beans Mom said...

Yum! What a great way to pass your Saturday. You're so much better at this organic living than me.

www.anns blog said...

The bread looks delicious. I was never sussessful at making bread. It was always too hard but very good as building bricks!!
Ann

Schmoo and Beans Mom said...

any fennel in it?

Hows the knife sharpener?