Tuesday, December 5, 2017

December Dialogue


On the 5th day of December, my true love said to me....


PW (Potter's Wife): Ah, the dimple mug!

P (Potter): But different!

PW: How so?

P (Potter): Well, yes this cup is a variation of a cup I've been making for awhile but more for the soda kiln. With these being wood fired, I wanted to experiment more both with the material and the process.

PW: Same form, different kiln?

P: No, I'm actually throwing them thicker. Then I roll a roulette over the exterior surface, fleshing out the from from the inside.

PW: The texture reminds me a little of linen.

P: I tend to use texture in wood firing more than for soda pots. The way the flame and ash interacts with the pot, there are more variables at play than with a soda atmosphere.

PW: And this isn't porcelain, is it?

P: I've been developing some darker clay bodies, to experiment with the palette. I've realized that my motivation for making things has more to do with the learning than it has to do with repeating something that I already know. Which is why I am constantly experimenting. There is so much learning that takes place when you take chances.

PW: No two pots alike?

P: All one of a kind.

Wood fired Mug $45
To purchase email robin@robindupont.com
Can be irreplaceably yours this holiday season...








1 comment:

valerie said...

Hi, love the mug! I went to my first pottery class on Friday. Not sure if it was real pottery? I rolled clay and then formed it around a mould to make a bowl. It was very stressful. I restarted 3 times. I wanted to make a berry bowl but ended up with a basic bowl. I will be buying the next amazing berry bowl I see because I now know the true value it takes to make a great piece.