Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Not without a trace

Well it has been quite a journey, and we're not even home yet! We're stuck in a hotel room, only a few hours from the border, having had the common sense to take an extra day on the road due to freezing rain and vehicle repairs.

Despite the chaotic and gruelling task of packing the house and studio and cramming it all (almost) into our trailer and three vehicles, the last couple days of travel have actually been a blessing. Having no choice but to sit still in a vehicle for several hours has given me the time to exhale and actually reflect a little on what just happened.

Robin's MFA exhibition was amazing. The work spoke for itself of his focus and perseverance these last two and a half years to grow as an artist and get the most out of his graduate school opportunity. But it was the overwhelming show of support and willingness to help pull it all together that really made the show a success.

Endless hours it seemed, were volunteered by fellow graduate students, friends and family. A special thank you is in order for our pal Adam Field and Robin's brother Jai, who stayed up into the wee hours building shelves, grinding pots and making several trips to the hardware store.And then of course there was the unconditional help from both mothers. My mom and Robin's offered their invaluable 'grandma' assistance to free me up to help Robin in whatever way I could.

Another incredible show of support was made by all the people that came and travelled from far just for the opening reception. The Monday night event and after party were tremendously fun and well attended. Almost too much fun, considering the way I felt the next morning when I had to get out of bed and was faced with all the packing and cleaning yet to do.

The remainder of the week was full on, but with plenty of occasions to put down the packing tape and share a beverage or two with friends. We even managed to fit in an afternoon to go skiing at Beaver Mountain somehow!?!

Monday was departure day and our intention was to leave quietly before the sun came up, but instead it became a full day affair and driveway party with our dearest friends chipping in to feed us, help occupy the kids, and strategize about how the heck we would ever fit everything in. And of course we didn't fit it all in, some things had to be donated, thrown out or left behind in Logan. I think in particular, we've left a little bit of our hearts in Utah. We'll dearly miss all the people that made this graduate school adventure one to cherish.

We may have left Logan, but not without a trace!
xo the duponts


gladventurer said...

We made it.
A beautiful sunny, dry drive from Coeur d'Alene to the Winlaw home in the BC mountains. Congratulations Robin,Eden,Isla and Roscoe for a 'job well done'. And thank you for making it possible for me to be such a big part of the past 2 1/2 yrs.
I will always have fond memories of Utah!!!!

kmfm said...

Glad you made it! and ended the trip with a sunny drive! Miss you friend and I am glad you left a 'little' trace on our fireplace! Our woodroom looks a little more Duponty ;)
I am excited to hear all about your drive and how you are settling in. hugs from 1500E

bfree clay said...

thanks for the pictures! i was so happy to be back and see you guys again... the united states wont be the same without you.