Thursday, November 20, 2008

Go Fly a Kite

For the past week I have been waking up each morning, expecting there to be a turn in the weather. But I look out my window to see sunny, calm, cloudless, blue skies and by mid-afternoon it is practically t-shirt weather. 

We've been lapping it up, spending most of our waking hours at the playground or out walking. Yesterday I actually even mowed the lawn! AND IT'S NOVEMBER? 

But this morning we woke up to the sure signs of something blowing in. The wind today was incredible. It seemed to blow at a constant all day. At one point I had to go out and pick up our garbage bins because the gusts coming up the canyon had blown them over. The temperature seems to have plummeted and it definitely was a toque and down coat day, despite the misleading sunny sky. 


Bundled in our warm clothes, we headed over to the school fields to try out our new kite that we found at a garage sale. I was trying to dig into the recesses of my terrible memory to pull out some childhood recollection of kite flying, but I came up with nothing. So instead, I decided that it would be a 'first' for all of us. Isla seemed pretty into it at first, running up and down the field giggling and squawking while Roscoe watched on from the stroller with a certain amount of amusement.  She was having a great time, that is until the kite dive bombed her from 20 feet above unexpectedly and she promptly declared that it was time to go home. 


No comments: